Mind over matter...Never give up

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Triangle Run/Walk for Autism 5K, Raleigh NC, October 8, 2011

Triangle Run/Walk for Autism 5K Course
I had a goal this year of running a PR in under 1:35 for the half marathon, as well as a goal of running a sub 20 5K.  I achieved the first goal in March of this year and realized with the fun summer I had, I kind of forgotten to focus on my 5K goal.  Opps!  Thankfully I was focused on another goal of trying to get in decent shape (ie: comfortable in a bathing suit) for a beach trip in September, so at least I had started bumping up my running again by the end of the summer and really was able to get a lot of miles in during the beach trip.  I had the chance to run every day while at the beach, usually between 5 to 6 miles each day plus a long run of 10 once.  So while the fall race season did sneak up on me a bit, I was sort of ready to tackle a 5K.  I had been running in the mornings and found that 30 minutes almost every day was really not too hard to maintain and it really helped my training.  So I kept that up and decided to run the race that was my favorite of the Second Empire series.  No, this was not the Run for Autism, but was the Run for Healthier Babies.  I really liked that course when I ran it in 2009 and it was my PR for a while for the 5K.  However I figured I should have at least 2 races picked out so that if I blew one I'd have another shot at a PR, and maybe even the sub 20 goal.  My current PR was 20:34, which I ran in March at the Run for the Oaks.  I had run my half marathon PR just shortly afterwards but then there were no PRs to be had for the rest of the spring and summer after that.  I had only run a few 5Ks with Owen in the last 2 months so I really had no idea what I could do in the 5K.  I knew I was running pretty well since the beach trip but hadn't done any speed work or racing so it was anyone's guess as to what I'd run.  Could be sub 20, could be 22 or more.  But it was now or never because soon it would be winter, so the fall races were my best shot.  I decided to do the Run for Autism as a practice run before the real deal at the Run for Healthier Babies.  I didn't register ahead of time and was actually feeling a bit under the weather leading up to the race.  I had a sore throat and was sniffly the night before, not usually a good sign.  I set the alarm and decided to let fate decide.  When I woke up I did consider not going...who would really know, I hadn't registered in advance and had only mentioned to one or two people that I was running the race.  But in the end I decided to get up, take some more Advil, and just get out there.

I had my standard pre-race oatmeal, but no banana since we didn't have any at home.  I did have some coffee which I don't normally do before I run but tried it before my last few races and it seemed to help and today I needed all the help I could get!  I also brought some cheerios and milk to have before the race since I was heading out early to be sure I got there in time to register and get a decent parking spot.  I got there pretty early and registration was quick.  I parked right on Moore Square which was convenient.  One thing about the Run for Autism is there are plenty of port a pottys so that's always comforting to me.  I always always have to go multiple times before a race, likely all psychological but after my bad experience in Napa where I had to stop to go during the race which cost me a 3rd place age group win, I am even more nervous about it. 

I decided to do a short warm up by running around Moore Square and in the process of that saw a few familiar faces from RTR and other running circles.  I have to say it was nice to have a break from racing but it was just as nice to get back to it and see some running friends out there.  On the starting line I saw a woman who usually runs around the same time, usually a bit faster, than me.  I was feeling a bit nervous about the competition there and I knew if I had any chance of meeting my goal, I'd need to stay with her or ahead of her from the start or it would be all over very quickly.  I was very glad that the race started on time so as to not prolong my nervousness.  I also knew that I needed to run an even pace, not too fast at the start, which is what I typically do, but not so slow that I don't hit my goal.  The first mile would be the test, to see if I could keep just below the goal pace of 6:25 and still feel good enough that I could maintain that for the next 2 miles.  At the start I made sure I got out there fast, but watched my Garmin carefully to ensure I didn't go crazy.  I had done that in 2009 without really realizing it and looked up and noticed I was way too close to a few of the female front runners but instead of slowing down, I was delusional in thinking 'hey maybe I can do this' and then subsequently crashed and burned in mile 2 big time.  So determined not to repeat that I focused mostly on my Garmin and switched it to 'current pace' instead of 'average pace for the current mile', which is usually what I do.  But at the same time I made sure to keep an eye on that one particular person who I knew I needed to stay ahead of.  She was right beside me for the first 1/2 mile, which was distracting for sure but I was determined.  Once you give up, that's it, you can't usually get it back.  And physically as long as you feel ok, most of it is mental anyway.  I just kept my eye on my Garmin but ensured I didn't fall behind her.  At around the 1 mile mark she fell back a bit.  I didn't look back after that.  I knew that was a good sign for me and I still felt pretty good. 

As I entered mile 2 I noticed that the neighborhood the race goes through was really nice, which I had not really noticed in 2009 since I was too busy sucking wind.  I also was happy to not be running straight since the first mile is pretty much straight down Blount Street.  As I headed into the 3rd mile, I was starting to have difficulty maintaining the pace, even falling back to over a 7 mm pace for very brief periods on a hilly section.  But having my Garmin on 'current pace' really did help because as soon as I fell behind a bit I was able to correct it immediately.  Somewhere in mile 3 I passed a few folks that I know are pretty speedy so I knew I was doing ok, but was starting to feel I couldn't hold on much longer.  I was not looking at the total distance during the race because the screen on my Garmin that has the current pace doesn't have the distance on it.  Turns out that is probably a good thing because just as I was feeling that I couldn't hold on much longer, I looked in the distance and saw the glorious sight of the blue and white inflatable finish line (most of you know the one, it seems to travel around to all the local races).  I knew if I could see the finish I could certainly hold on until I reached it, so I gave it everything I had and sprinted, still not knowing even what the time on the clock was, because my Garmin also doesn't have the total time on that pace screen.  I thought I may be close to a PR and possibly even under the 20 minute mark, but as I got close enough to the finish to see the clock I got really excited to see it said 19 and change.  As I crossed the finish the clock said 19:5X something, so I knew I had made it.  I was more than thrilled.  I wondered what place I came in at that point, knowing it had to be in the top 8 or so of all women, and for sure I must have placed in the masters division. 

Unofficial results posted at the race
I spent the next 15 or 20 minutes chatting with some running friends about the race.  I looked for my friend Pauline to try to run a few more miles but when I didn't find her I didn't really have the energy to do it alone so I just decided to get changed and walk around Moore Square to wait for the results and awards ceremony.  I never did get to see the results before the awards as the moved the location of where they posted them without me realizing it.  So when the awards were starting, I asked someone where the results were and they told me that I had placed first in the masters female group.  Cool!  When my name was called I got my award which was a little paperweight marble thing with the race info engraved on it.  They mentioned that a gift card would be sent in the mail.  It was nice to win but I have to admit that I liked the hand made plates that were given out in 2009 better.  They were made by children with autism and it just meant more to me because of that. 

I drove home quite happy, with a PR, meeting my goal of a sub 20, a 1st place masters win and an overall place of 4th female.  I was really glad I got out of bed that morning to run the race.  My sore throat and sniffles did turn into a pretty yucky head cold on Sunday and into Monday unfortunately.  But it was worth it!  Now I was just hoping I this wasn't a fluke and I would feel better and could repeat this performance the next week, since I had already pre-registered for the Run for Healthier Babies!

The "race bling" is the the mail
P.S. - I was beginning to wonder if I mis-heard them when they said they'd send a gift card in the mail but about 2 weeks later, not only a gift card for $50 but a really nice plaque came.  Pretty neat!

No comments:

Post a Comment