Mind over matter...Never give up

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Biltmore 15K and my trip to Asheville (PART II)




Other than a few times waking up thinking I overslept, which I did not, it was a pretty restful night's sleep. On Sunday AM, I got up on time and got ready and we headed out to Biltmore. It was a bit chilly at 60 degrees and overcast with a bit of drizzle here and there...perfect racing weather really. The drive up to the Biltmore Winery, where the race started and finished, was slow but scenic. There was a steady line of cars making their way in for the race. But parking was not nearly as challenging as I thought, in fact getting there later than others (bet some crazy runners got there when the gates opened at 5:30am...no thanks!) paid off, since we were directed to a lot even closer to the winery which had plenty of bathrooms, always a big concern on race day.

I probably went to the bathroom at least 3 times in 30 minutes and by the time the race was ready to start I really did have to go again but knew there wasn't time (I was SOOOO jealous of the guy next to me who just ran up and went behind a tree!) The 5K started first and surprisingly there were fewer in the 5K than in the 15K. They took off on time and the 15K line up began. I moved my way to near the front of the starting line as I usually try to do so I don't get stuck behind anyone planning to do a leisurely race walk or jog, particularly a group of folks doing that together who can span the whole length of the road and block you in. I am usually fast enough that I won't get trampled if I stand near the front.

The gun (yes they actually had a starting gun!) went off and I thought two things...one, hope it's not too hilly and two, I really kind of have to pee. The race started downhill and right away I was running at a pretty easy nice pace. I looked at my Garmin and saw I was running around a 7:15 mile. I thought that it must be wrong since I felt so comfortable running at that pace. The first mile was so easy and felt so good I was off to a good start. Mile 2 I think was where the first hill was but still it wasn't too terrible. The cows along the way seemed to be staring at us crazy humans running by. The scenery was beautiful. The course was closed and other than the guys keeping time or giving out water, there was no one along the way. But the road was so winding and scenery so nice that not having spectators was actually fine.

The group spread out pretty quickly. I knew I was pretty far up in the front of the race field but the road was so windy that you couldn't really see the full group at any time. I really prefer that. The psychology of running out in the open on a straight road where you can see everyone out in front of you is challenging for me. I tried my best to run down the middle of the road to cut out any unnecessary additional distance. Early on a woman about my age passed me, which I am always conscious of because I can sometimes place in my age group depending on the race and I missed 3rd by a few seconds in one race last year because I wasn't really paying attention to that and didn't run as hard as I could have. I stuck with her though and eventually passed her again around mile 3.

Water stops were very well placed and they had gatorade too starting at mile 3. I think by mile 4 they had a port a potty but there was no way I was stopping now. If it was a full marathon I supposed I would have but by this time I saw that my goal of 1:15 was well within reach and my ideal of 1:10 was entirely possible if there were no unexpected crazy hills or injuries. I was running by this time with a few men, no women. I could see one woman running ahead of me. Caught a glimpse of her every so often when the road curved a certain way. She was I'd say never really more than 200 to 400 yards ahead. But at that point my goal was time, not to pass anyone.

I was originally running behind 2 guys who seemed to know each other and were running together. I could NEVER do that, you'd always be wondering if you were holding them back or they were holding you back. They were running ahead of me through mile 3.5 or 4 but then I did pass them. One of them said to me "you don't look like your working hard enough" as I passed. I was feeling still very good. And I LOVED having my Garmin, it really helped me keep an even pace. I then came up on two other guys who I ran around the same pace with up until we got to the Biltmore house itself. That was such a great sight, coming around the curve and right up to the front of the house. Big photo op. It was just prior to that (can't recall where) that one of the race volunteers yelled to me "hey you're the third woman". I have NEVER heard that before, EVER. The race times for the overall females last year were much faster than I was running so it never dawned on me that I'd place overall. I was hoping to just place in my age group.

That knowledge brought on both motivation to run hard as well as a bit of stress. I kept looking back to see whether any women were close on my tail. There weren't any very close but as I left the area near the house I thought I saw one or two entering the house area. After passing Biltmore house and heading into the gardens another volunteer reiterated my place (I did think perhaps the first guy had counted wrong or missed maybe a particularly manly looking woman or two in the count along the way!). By this time I was pretty motivated to keep my place. This was right around the time that the downhills and more secluded section of the race started. It was great. I was running on a downhill (not too steep) winding road in a densely wooded area and it was beautiful. This was probably during miles 6 and 7. By far the best part of the race other than seeing the Biltmore house itself and hearing I was in 3rd. In fact I ran this mile (as well as mile 3) in under 7 minutes, which I've never done, not even in a 5K. Of course the down hill had something to do with that!

Then it was back to a more open road once I passed a gate with a sign that said Winery 2.4 miles. So it was only a little over 2 miles to go and I was still feeling pretty good. I decided to really do my best to keep the pace, which was under my ideal time of 7:30 min miles. There were no women that I could see behind me so I was fairly confident I could keep my 3rd place. It was pretty flat by that time and I could see woman #2 in front of me since it was so open. It was still a winding road but she was no more than 100 yards ahead. Early on in the race I did see her actually walk up a hill so remembering that I thought I might have a shot to pass her if there was a hill. How mean is that!? But hey, I've been her before and been passed at the very end so all is fair in racing.

I was feeling strong but not strong enough to pass her now and still keep the pace if she decided to fight for her position. So I held back and kept the pace staying about 50 yards or less behind her. I went back and forth in my head as to whether I thought I could pass her. Only one person, a guy, passed me after that point. I was keeping a good steady pace and kept closing in little by little. But still this more open area was psychologically difficult for me for sure. I finally got to the 9 mile marker and then to the sign that said "1/4 mile left". I decided I was strong enough to at least try to move up to 2nd place. I closed in and I could tell right away that she didn't have more left in her to fight me for it so I said something like "great job" and she did too. And I passed and then worried if I could keep it up til the finish, which was around a blind curve so I wasn't sure where it was. If I have the courage to post a picture from the finish you'll definitely see a big difference between my face as I was in front of Biltmore house vs. right near the finish! I was giving it everything to keep my lead.

In the end the time was 1:08:50, a 7:24 pace. However my Garmin said 9.36 instead of 9.3 miles so it was actually I think a bit faster than a 7:24 pace. I was very happy to be done, to finish under my idea time and to do the unheard of for me...place overall not just in my age group!

Keith was there at the finish but I didn't see him as I crossed since I was just trying to get there. He was planning to take a picture but wasn't expecting me until 1:10 so he wasn't ready when I came around the curve. I immediately went to the the bathroom (I had to go the whole race, but not too terribly badly) and to get changed. We walked back over to get a bagel and happened to be standing around when the two other RTR (Raleigh Trail Runners) who ran the race had just finished. We only had a brief moment to say hello but they needed to keep walking and we went over to ask about the award ceremony since the temp was dropping and we were trying to determine if we should wait in the car or not. Just as we went over to ask they began to announce the awards. The did the women first, which I think is always a nice touch. The first place woman wasn't even there at the time since they started earlier than they had said and she was probably changing or something. I was right there when my name was called and so got my medal and told the director it was a great course. In the end I found the first place woman was 18 yrs old and was only about 40 seconds ahead of me. Not bad for an almost Master's runner!

We then went back to the car so we could leave to shower, check out and come back to Biltmore for the tour, lunch and wine tasting. The tour was great, glad I got the headset like Keith suggested. Lunch at the winery bistro was very good too and we got to taste and buy some wine before hitting the road back to Cary. It was a great race and a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your GREAT finish, Mary! I'm in awe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a word of thanks to a few people...
    Thanks to Keith for coming out to cheer me on and for a great weekend of dinners, movies and shopping. Thanks to Gran and Pop Pop for watching the kiddlings so we could go. And thanks to the RTR group for running with me and pushing me to run farther and faster than I ever could on my own. And thanks to all the other friends and family who provide words of encouragement. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Mary! I'm in awe and inspired. I've been thinking I need to get off my butt and do something for me that would offer a physical challenge to strengthen my body. After baby #2 it needs some work. Reading your recap of the run was great and may provide just the right motivation for me to get up and move. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is amazing! I love reading how you are assessing and somewhat strategizing while you are running. I don't expect to place anywhere so these thoughts NEVER cross my mind.

    Your pace is amazing and that you went sub-7? OMG, that is awesome! And it gives me hope...that I can improve with age (but I am also starting out a little slower with room to grow ;-)).

    ReplyDelete